Persimmon Cake – Vegan, Nut free, Gluten Free
It’s the holiday season. I have been eating a flour and sugar free diet for 2 months now, in an attempt to curb my cravings. That is going really well, but I need a sweet treat to eat, so I made this.
This cake is only mildly persimmon-y. The cocoa nibs add a little interest with their crunch.
If you are on a limited or restricted diet, there is still so much you can do! I hope you enjoy this as is, or change it to a regular cake by adding more sugar and using flour, instead of gluten-free ingredients, as listed below. I expect you would need to use 2/3rds cup of flour and omit the chia and flax seed, but I have not tried it myself.
- 1 ½ cup persimmon puree
- 2-3 large ripe persimmons, cut into bites
- ½ cup sunflower seed butter
- ½ cup tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ripe mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 c cocoa nibs
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a round 9 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together wet ingredients: seed butters, maple syrup, banana, and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients: flaxseed meal, chia seeds, cocoa nibs, baking soda, and salt and add to wet mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Pour into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and serve.